Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


About a month ago, I posted a recipe for Steamed Dumplings. Dumplings are easy to make but most people find it hard to prepare and design the wrappers from scratch. I thought I didn't explain enough about making and designing dumpling wrappers in my previous post. So I've decided to dedicate an entire post for this topic. Today I am going to do a short demo (with images and videos) on how to make the dumpling wrappers from scratch. I will be showing you 2 different wrapper designs.


Hope you will enjoy this post. Feel free to leave your comments. If you would like to share your own dumpling designs, I would love to hear from you.

You can buy ready-made wrappers if you don't want to go through the steps of preparing dough but I don't recommend using them. They are not as soft as the handmade wrappers and the dumplings made with ready-made wrappers are usually dry.

  • Once you've made the dough (see Step 1 in Steamed Dumplings), roll the wrappers. The wrappers don't have to be perfect circles. When you roll the wrappers, make sure the edges are slightly thinner than the middle of the wrapper.
  • Put the fillings on the wrapper. With your thumb and the index finger, stick the edges of the wrapper to form pleats. For a round design, keep forming the pleats as you go round the edges. For an elongated design, fold the wrapper into half, stick the edges and then start forming the pleats.


See the videos below to see how to roll the wrappers and then create a round design and elongated design for the dumplings:





8 comments:

    Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...
    Thanks for kind sharing, this is very helpful!
  1. ... on June 18, 2010 at 8:16 PM  
  2. Unknown said...
    ooohh this looks very lovely! i haven't tried making steamed dumplings before!
  3. ... on June 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM  
  4. Simply Life said...
    wow this is great to know -they look wonderful!
  5. ... on June 20, 2010 at 8:07 PM  
  6. ~Lisa~ said...
    I love this! I'm going to link your tutorial the next time I make dumplings! Thanks for sharing.
  7. ... on June 27, 2010 at 8:06 PM  
  8. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    Thanks for all the comments- Sonia, Ann and Simply Life.

    @Lisa, Glad that you liked the tutorial. Feel free to link to this tutorial. I hope to learn your dumpling design, which looks different from mine.
  9. ... on June 27, 2010 at 9:16 PM  
  10. Magic of Spice said...
    What a great post! You have a nice site here:)
  11. ... on July 2, 2010 at 10:36 AM  
  12. AC said...
    Hi there! Wow! You're awesome! You've got a really great foodie blog here... I'm sure to visit you often and this particular dumpling tip helps a lot... I already added you to my foodie blogroll. Thanks for friend request!
  13. ... on July 4, 2010 at 10:52 PM  
  14. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @Magic of Spice, Thanks!!

    @AC, Glad that your liked this tip. Hope to share more recipes in the future.
  15. ... on July 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM  
All recipes are on Petitchef

Like My Blog? Follow Me

Like Me on Facebook

Grab My Badge

Spoon and Chopsticks

Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.