Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


This recipe is inspired by Chaat, a popular Indian savoury snacks. I like the blend of different flavours in Chaat- sweeet, sour and hot with the creaminess of yoghurt. Chaats are usually made with Samosas or thick Pappadums. In my recipe, I have used toasted corn chips as an easier alternative.


It is very easy to prepare this dish and there is hardly any cooking involved except for boiling the potatoes. Preparing this dish basically involves layering ingredients and mixing them well before eating. I find this dish ideal for summer as the cold yoghurt helps cool down your body. I hope you will enjoy.

Serves 2

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 packet (80g) toasted corn chips
  • A handful of Aaloo Bhujiya or other crispy and crunchy nibbles (available in Indian groceries or Indian food section of your local supermarket).
  • 6 tablespoons plain yoghurt
  • 2 coriander strips, finely chopped (you may replace coriander with mint)
  • 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 small tomato, chopped
  • 1 potato, boiled and cut into small pieces
  • 2 tablespoons of tamarind chutney
  • 4 teaspoons sugar
  • A pinch of salt
  • Chilli powder to taste (you may add green chillies if you like it hot)
  • Few peanuts
Preparation:
  • In a bowl, mix yoghurt, sugar, salt and coriander. Keep it aside.
  • In a serving plate, put the corn chips. Break them lightly.
  • Add a layer each of potatoes, onions and tomatoes.
  • Sprinkle salt and chilli powder.

  • Add a layer of yoghurt. Use only half the yoghurt now and keep the rest aside.
  • Add a layer of Aaloo Bhujiya and put the peanuts on top.
  • Add the rest of the yoghurt and put tamarind chutney on top. Serve immediately.
  • Mix well before eating.
Note: You may also sprinkle some Chaat Masala on top while serving. This is available in Indian groceries. I personally don't like to use it but if you want to add extra flavour and spiciness, you may try this.


14 comments:

    mr. pineapple man said...
    oh gosh! this looks delicious!
  1. ... on August 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM  
  2. Pam said...
    It looks great... filled with so many good textures and flavors.
  3. ... on August 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM  
  4. Angie's Recipes said...
    This is great for a lazy Sunday lunch!
  5. ... on August 28, 2010 at 2:40 PM  
  6. Susi's Kochen und Backen said...
    I don't know a couple of the ingredients but it sure looks delicious!
  7. ... on August 29, 2010 at 12:35 AM  
  8. Biren said...
    This is new to me but it sounds really good and easy.
  9. ... on August 30, 2010 at 2:36 AM  
  10. Anonymous said...
    This is so original! I have never seen "nachos" made this way. Great job!
  11. ... on August 30, 2010 at 9:50 AM  
  12. Magic of Spice said...
    I love this...Looks like a wonderful snack and a pleasing party dish :)
  13. ... on August 31, 2010 at 6:55 AM  
  14. Chef Dennis Littley said...
    wow, it looks like an Indian version of a Mexican seven layer dip! I would love to dig into that tasty treat!
  15. ... on September 3, 2010 at 4:12 AM  
  16. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @mr. pineapple man, thanks. I'm sure you'll like it.

    @Pam, yes it's got a great combination of flavours. It's worth a try.

    @Angie, True! It's great for a lazy Sunday lunch as it's so easy to make. It takes only 5-6 minutes to get this ready.

    @Susi, all the ingredients are easily available. For some, you might have to visit an Indian grocery. If you need help with the ingredients, let me know.

    @Biren, it's certainly very easy and tasty too. The key to this dish is the use of right amount of ingredients. You may ruin it the first couple of times but once you get the idea of the amount of ingredients to use, you can't resist it.

    @cookingformark, thanks for your comment. yes the "nachos".... :)

    @ Magic of Spice, thanks. It's certainly a great snack. It's vibrant yet simple.

    @Chef Dennis, I like the way you put it, "an Indian version of a Mexican seven layer dip".
  17. ... on September 4, 2010 at 7:04 AM  
  18. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...
    I looove chaat! I always order this at my favorite Indian restaurant and my best friend who's Gujarati suggested I try making it but the nearest Indian grocery is 45 minutes away. Thanks for the awesome substitution of using corn chips.
  19. ... on September 5, 2010 at 9:07 AM  
  20. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @Xiaolu: Thanks for your comment. Well my nearest Indian grocery is only few minutes' walk. Yes, the corn chips substitution works great. I tried this alternative to avoid deep fried Samosas and Pappadums. I thought it reduces your grease intake by a significant percentage per serving.
  21. ... on September 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM  
  22. Christina said...
    I love chaat and this looks amazing!
  23. ... on October 2, 2010 at 1:34 AM  
  24. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @Christina: As you can see, it's also very easy to prepare. Thanks for visiting my blog.
  25. ... on October 2, 2010 at 7:00 AM  
  26. dining tables said...
    I am now drooling with all of these. I want to have a serving of it! Looks so delicious.
  27. ... on April 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM  
All recipes are on Petitchef

Like My Blog? Follow Me

Like Me on Facebook

Grab My Badge

Spoon and Chopsticks

Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.