Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


Give a treat to yourself and your family with this delicious milk cake. Texture of this milk cake is soft and simply melts in your mouth. This is one of my favourite cakes. It is simple and has very few ingredients. Try this with your leftover milk in the fridge that is about to expire.

Delicious Milk Cake
Ingredients:
  • 5 cups full-cream milk
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3-4 tablespoons sugar or to taste
The preparation steps involve making curd and reducing the milk before setting the cake. Follow the steps below.
    Making curd:
    • Put 3 cups of milk in a sauce pan and start boiling in a medium heat.
    • Put lemon juice, few drops at a time, and stir. This will curdle the milk.
    Delicious Milk Cake: Curdling the milk
    • Sieve the curd through a cheese-cloth and squeeze the excess water pressing firmly with your hands.
    • Remove the curd from the cheese-cloth and rest it on the plate.
    Delicious Milk Cake: Curdling the milk

    Reducing milk:
    • Put the remaining 2 cups of milk in a sauce pan and boil it stirring occasionally in a medium heat.
    • Continue boiling until the milk reduces to about 1 cup. Do not turn off the heat. Immediately follow the steps below.
    Making the cake:
    • Put the curd in the reduced milk. Stir the mixture well and continue boiling until the mixture is thickened. It might take about 4-5 minutes.
    Delicious Milk Cake: Preparing the cake mixture
    • Now the mixture is ready to be poured into a container for setting. I used an oblong plastic container. You can also use round container or container of any other shape. The thickness of the cake should be around 1-2 inches. So make sure not to use a large container. Line the container with aluminium foil to make it easier to take the cake out after setting. Pour the mixture into the container.
    Delicious Milk Cake: Setting the cake mixture
    • Set it in the fridge for at least 5-6 hours. For the best result, set it overnight.
    • Remove the cake from the container and decorate as you like. I did a quick and simple decoration. I sprinkled cinnamon powder on top. I also made a sauce by mixing cocoa powder and water and decorated the top of the cake.
    Delicious Milk Cake


    17 comments:

      mamtc said...
      Pretty simple and tasty recipe. In india we call this as paneer.
    1. ... on October 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM  
    2. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
      @coolblogger: Thanks for your comment. My understanding of paneer is it is the curd that I made in the first step above. The milk cake itself would not be paneer. Correct me if I am wrong.
    3. ... on October 23, 2010 at 12:51 PM  
    4. Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...
      this cake is new to me, look so interesting, Thanks for sharing.
    5. ... on October 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM  
    6. Yesim said...
      it looks really easy to cook and tasty .. should give a try;)
    7. ... on October 23, 2010 at 6:07 PM  
    8. Bakericious said...
      this is new to me, sound so interesting, thanks for sharing.
    9. ... on October 24, 2010 at 12:09 AM  
    10. Susi's Kochen und Backen said...
      I've never heard of this cake before but it looks and sounds tasty :o) Thanks for sharing!
    11. ... on October 24, 2010 at 12:51 AM  
    12. Claudia said...
      Very new to me - I have made the soaking Mexican cake with three milks but never with a curdled milk. Enticiing - gives new meaning to a dessert of cake and milk.
    13. ... on October 24, 2010 at 8:19 AM  
    14. tasteofbeirut said...
      What an interesting cake! To me it is a little bit of a cheese as well; have made cheese using that technique except with yogurt, so I am a bit familiar with it.
    15. ... on October 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM  
    16. Angie's Recipes said...
      This looks droolworthy!
    17. ... on October 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM  
    18. What to cook today said...
      wow....so simple and so worth trying to make!! thanks!
    19. ... on October 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM  
    20. Jenn said...
      I think your right it is paneer... but with a few steps thrown in. When I've made paneer all we did was put the lemon juice in the milk and strain... The extra step of adding reduced milk and setting it in the fridge is a bit different.
    21. ... on October 26, 2010 at 1:22 AM  
    22. Anonymous said...
      That looks so incredible. I would never have thought it possible to make something so spectacular with only a few ingredients! I have a blog award for you if you would like to stop by my blog, when you have time. :)
    23. ... on October 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM  
    24. Zoe said...
      milk cake! sound interesting... You got very nice blog! I like your presentation.
    25. ... on October 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM  
    26. She's Cookin' said...
      Since my daughter went to college, we don't finish a gallon of milk, so I'll be trying this - plus I've never made milk cake and like to try new things :) Thanks for sharing!
    27. ... on October 28, 2010 at 4:56 AM  
    28. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...
      Unlike any cake I've ever seen but sounds delicious anyway. Like the stripes.
    29. ... on October 31, 2010 at 1:43 AM  
    30. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
      Thanks all for lovely comments. Many of you said it is something new to you. I am glad that you liked it. Yes it is not really hard to prepare. As you can see there are only few ingredients in it. If you decide to give it a try, let know how you go.

      @Sonia,
      @Yesim,
      @Jess,
      @Susi,
      @Angie,
      @What to cook today,
      @Jenn: Thanks all for your lovely comments.

      @Claudia: I've never heard of soaking Mexican cake. Sounds interesting. I will look for it on google. If you have a recipe, send me a link.

      @tasteofbeirut: I've never made cheese. Would love to learn more about your method.

      @Sweetums: I'll grab the award, thanks. :)

      @Zoe: Thanks for liking my blog and presentations.

      @She's Cookin': Now you have a perfect situation to use your unfinished milk!

      @Xiaolu: Thanks for your comment. Yes the stripes add a bit of decoration to an otherwise plain-looking block of milk cake.
    31. ... on October 31, 2010 at 10:20 AM  
    32. Anonymous said...
      Nice recipe.
      It's very much similar to Indian Kalakand
    33. ... on February 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM  
    All recipes are on Petitchef

    Like My Blog? Follow Me

    Like Me on Facebook

    Grab My Badge

    Spoon and Chopsticks

    Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.