Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


Dduk bok ki is a popular Korean dish made using hot pepper paste and rice cake. Hot pepper paste is usually available in Korean grocery shops. Some Chinese groceries sell it too. Rice cake is available in almost all Asian grocery stores.

I like the hotness and sweetness of this dish. I like to eat dduk bok ki when the weather is cold or when its rainy. It keeps your body warm. It is a quick and easy dish. It can be served for lunch or dinner.


Serves 2

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups water
  • About 350g rice cake
  • 3-4 spring onions, cut into 4-5cm long pieces
  • 1 carrot, thinly slice
  • Few slices of fish cake
  • Handful of cabbage, roughly cut
  • 3 tablespoons of hot pepper paste
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar


Preparation:
  • Boil water in a pot on high heat.
  • Separate the rice cake tubes into individual pieces.
  • Put the rice cake tubes into boiling water.
  • Add hot pepper paste, carrot, cabbage, spring onions and fish cakes.
  • Add sugar and stir well. Make sure you keep stirring while cooking otherwise the rice cakes will stick to the bottom of the pot.
  • After few minutes, the sauce will gradually become thick and the rice cakes get soft and shiny. Now it's ready to serve. Serve it hot.


13 comments:

    MaryMoh said...
    Mmmm....delicious! This is one of my top favourite Korean dishes....a must to order when eating at Korean restaurant. Now I'm drooling!
  1. ... on August 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM  
  2. Cathy said...
    I'm following you from blog frog and excited to try some of your yummy recipes!
  3. ... on August 22, 2010 at 7:31 AM  
  4. Magic of Spice said...
    Very delightful dish...I had trouble trying to follow you on facebook, but on twitter and blogger was OK. I really love these flavors :)
  5. ... on August 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM  
  6. Julie said...
    I love Korean dish and I love spicy too..So its perfect for me..I'm going to try this one..Thanks for sharing.
  7. ... on August 23, 2010 at 8:49 AM  
  8. Biren said...
    Your version with all those vegetables look really appetizing!
  9. ... on August 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
  10. Unknown said...
    Wow! I have never heard of this but sounds really good. I have not had much Korean food...hmmm...maybe I should venture into this! Nice to meet you from Blog Frog! ~Kimberly

    www.stinkerpinker.com
  11. ... on August 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM  
  12. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @MaryMoh: Now you don't have to go to Korean restaurants anymore for dduk bok ki. :)

    @Cathy: Thanks for visiting. Would love to hear from you again. If you have tried my recipes, let me know how you went.

    @Magic of Spice: I am not sure what's wrong with my facebook account. I am not too familiar with it. Thanks for reminding. Will try to find out.

    @Julie: Let me know how you went.

    @Biren: Thanks for dropping by, Biren. Glad to hear from you again.

    @Kimberly: Thanks for visiting. You can try this recipe. If you like hot and spicy, I am sure you will like this. I will check out your blog soon.
  13. ... on August 24, 2010 at 6:20 AM  
  14. mysimplefood said...
    Nice! Makes your body and warm and nice!! love Korean spice!
  15. ... on August 25, 2010 at 1:07 AM  
  16. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @mysimplefood, thanks.
  17. ... on August 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM  
  18. What to cook today said...
    This is also one of my favorite Korean dishes. I've never made it myself though. Your recipe looks really simple, I should try this! Thanks.
  19. ... on September 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM  
  20. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @What to cook today: Thanks for your comment. If this is one of your favourite Korean dishes, you should try this out. As you can see, it's not that difficult at all... Good luck!!
  21. ... on September 25, 2010 at 1:22 PM  
  22. Lisa said...
    I love, love, love dukbokki. Whenever I go to the Korean markets, I buy the one that comes with the sauce in little packets. Your recipe's definitely a keeper! It looks so good, just how I like it.
  23. ... on May 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM  
  24. Adina said...
    I arrived in Seoul around midnight and this was the food available in the streets.Loved it,but never made it...can't get the ingredients anyway,but your photo took me back to Korea. Thank you for that
  25. ... on July 10, 2011 at 6:36 AM  
All recipes are on Petitchef

Like My Blog? Follow Me

Like Me on Facebook

Grab My Badge

Spoon and Chopsticks

Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.