This healthy homemade ice cream is made without an ice cream maker. I used soy milk instead of full cream milk, added less sugar and used dark chocolate and nuts. I did not use cream in this recipe but I still managed to get a smooth and tasty ice cream with this method. Let me know what you think about this method.
(Yields 2 serves)
- 1 and 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 25g dark chocolate
- 1tbsp sugar
- Nuts of your choice, chopped
- Heat soy milk in a saucepan in medium heat.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks.
- Gradually pour the soy milk into the egg yolks while continually mixing. Make sure the soy milk and egg yolks combine well and quickly. The mixture should not be lumpy.
- Pour the mixture back to the saucepan and heat it in a low heat while continually mixing. The mixture starts getting thicker. To check if the custard is ready, dip a spoon and see if the back of the spoon forms a thick and smooth coat.
- Chop the chocolate blocks in small pieces and add them to the custard. Stir well until the chocolate melts.
- Put a thin layer of custard mixture on a plate or a tray and put it in a freezer for about 30-40 minutes (depending on how thick your layer is). This will start forming ice crystals near the edges.
- Break the ice crystals using spoon or spatula by stirring vigorously.
- Put it back into the freezer. Repeat the above steps in every 15-20 minutes. You have to repeat the steps 4-5 times until you get a smooth texture. In the last step, add the chopped nuts.