Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


Kimchi is one of my all-time favourite Korean dish. It is a great accompaniment with rice and noodles. The good thing about it is it can be prepared in large amounts and can be kept in a refrigerator for a long time. Making kimchi at home is much cheaper than buying from the market. So lets try making kimchi.

My recipe is a combination of ideas I got from various websites and cook books. Let me know what you think of this recipe.


Ingredients:
  • 1 large Chinese cabbage
  • 1 medium size onion, chopped
  • 5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • Small piece of ginger, chopped
  • 3-4 strips spring onion, cut into small pieces
  • About a 1/2 radish, thinly sliced in strips
  • Salt, a lot
  • Korean red pepper powder as taste (I used about 4-5 tablespoons. You can buy this from Korean grocery shop. I tried once with ordinary chilli powder but the result was not as good as using the Korean red pepper powder.)


  • 2 and 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 5-6 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 3-4 tablespoon sugar
Preparing the cabbage:


  • Cut the cabbage in half length-wise. Wash the cabbage in cold water.
  • Sprinkle good amount of salt on each leaf of the cabbage. This will release excess water from the cabbage and also makes the cabbage soft.
  • Leave the cabbage aside for 3-4 hours.
  • After 3-4 hours, again wash the cabbage in cold water. Try to squeeze out the excess water with your hands and leave the cabbage in the strainer while you prepare the other ingredients.
Preparing the paste:


  • Put onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor or blender to make a paste.
  • In a cold water, add flour and mix it well so that the lumps are not formed. Put it in a medium heat, stirring it continuously until it forms a thick paste.
  • Add sugar, fish sauce, "onion, ginger and garlic paste", Korean red pepper powder and mix it well until it forms a smooth red paste.
  • Add spring onion and radish into the paste and mix it well.
Final step:


  • Wear gloves on both hands. The mixing process can be a bit messy.
  • Put the paste, prepared in the previous step, in a large container. Put the cabbage into the paste. Rub the paste in each leaf of the cabbage. Repeat the same process for the other half of the cabbage.
  • Put the cabbage in a air-tight container. Top up with the remaining paste and seal it properly.
  • The kimchi is ready to be served. If you like a little sour taste, you can ferment it for a day or two in a cool place.
  • Preserve the kimchi in a refrigerator. Before serving, cut the cabbage leaves into small pieces. You can do this with kitchen scissors.


8 comments:

    Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...
    Thanks for sharing this recipe, but my family members do not appreciate Kimchi, so no chance to try this, personnaly I like to eat.
  1. ... on July 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM  
  2. Carbohydrate Diet said...
    Have never thought of making kimchi at home, thanks for the recipe. We always have it when we are out for Korean, this will be a treat, already thinking about the leftovers, even better.
  3. ... on July 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM  
  4. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @Sonia, I have made Kimchi 3 weeks in a row and looks like it's not going to stop anytime soon. :)

    @Carb Diet, thanks for all your comments. I like your website. It's quite informative. It would be better if your blog had a Follow Me link.
  5. ... on July 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM  
  6. Carbohydrate Diet said...
    I will look into adding one of those onto it :)
  7. ... on July 25, 2010 at 1:53 AM  
  8. Biren said...
    I enjoy kimchi and make this cabbage kimchi whenever I can. Fresh homemade kimchi is much better than store bought. Your version looks nice and spicy.
  9. ... on July 29, 2010 at 12:48 AM  
  10. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @Biren, yes it turned out much better than I had expected. I agree, nothing beats a fresh homemade kimchi.
  11. ... on July 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM  
  12. Veronica's Kitchen said...
    I used to make Kimchi with my Korean friends when I was living with them. I miss hot made Kimchi.
  13. ... on April 29, 2011 at 8:48 AM  
  14. uno said...
    I am very interested in the article that you created. I am very interested in Korean food I hope someday I can make it yourself
  15. ... on June 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM  
All recipes are on Petitchef

Like My Blog? Follow Me

Like Me on Facebook

Grab My Badge

Spoon and Chopsticks

Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.