Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


I like to make my own sushi at home. It's really fun to make sushi and is much cheaper to make it at home. The best thing about the homemade sushi is that you can put any fillings you like. Making sushi may be a bit time-consuming but it's worth the effort. Sushi is also great for snacks on parties and picnics as you can prepare it ahead and it does not require heating up.

Sushi is usually prepared using makisu (bamboo sushi mat). Since I don't have this available, I use aluminium foil, as an alternative, to help roll up sushi. I am quite satisfied with the result as you can see in the photos below.

I am going to make 3 types of sushi: seaweed sushi, egg-roll sushi and reverse-roll sushi.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup medium- or short-grain rice (short-grain sushi rice is ideal)
  • 5-6 tablespoon sushi seasoning
  • 2 eggs
  • Cooked sausages, cut into strips
  • Few strips of capsicum
  • Few strips of cucumber
  • Canned tuna in brine
  • Nori (seaweed sheets)
  • Roasted sesame seeds
  • Wasabi paste
  • Soy sauce
Making rice for sushi:
  • Wash the rice thoroughly until the water comes clean. Leave to drain it in the strainer for about 30 minutes. This will make the rice evenly milky white.
  • Cook the rice in the rice cooker by using water according to your rice cooker's instruction.
  • Once the rice is cooked, transfer it into a flat-bottomed pan. Ideally, handai (wooden tub) is used but I used baking pan and it worked for me.
  • Sprinkle sushi seasoning few tablespoons at a time and start folding the rice - but DO NOT stir. Fan the rice while folding in order to cool it. You may need a helper to fan the rice.

Making egg sheet:
  • Beat 2 eggs with salt.
  • Heat oil in a large non-stick pan to ensure the egg sheet is not too thick. Spread the oil evenly in the pan. When the oil is heated, pour the beaten eggs and distribute evenly around the pan.
  • When one side is cooked, turn it over.
  • Remove from the pan and put it on a flat surface. Cut the egg sheet in the size of nori. Set it aside.
  • Cut the leftover edges into strips and use them as sushi fillings.

Making seaweed sushi:
  • Place the nori with shiny side down on the aluminium foil. Ideally makisu (bamboo sushi mat) is used but I tried with aluminium foil and it absolutely worked for me!
  • Put a portion of rice on the nori. With wet hands, spread the rice evenly about 1-2cm away from the far edge.
  • Put your favourite fillings on top of the rice about few centimetres away from the folding edge.

Folding the sushi roll:
  • Hold and pick up the aluminium foil from the near edge. Roll it over while keeping the fillings in the centre with your fingers. 
  • Roll until the contents start to stick together. Then gently pull the aluminium foil away from you while keeping your other hand on the surface to manoeuvre the roll.
  • Cut the sushi roll into desired sizes.

Making egg-roll sushi:
  • Place the egg sheet on the aluminium foil.
  • Put a portion of rice on the egg sheet. With wet hands, spread the rice evenly all over the egg roll.
  • Place a nori sheet on top of the rice.
  • Put your favourite fillings on top of the nori about few centimetres away from the folding edge.
  • Start folding. See the Folding the sushi roll section above.

Making reverse-roll sushi:

For this method, if you are using makisu, it's better to first cover it with a cling wrap to avoid the rice from sticking to the bamboo. Since I am using aluminium foil, I could avoid this step.

  • Place the nori with shiny side down on the aluminium foil.
  • Put a portion of rice on the nori. With wet hands, spread the rice evenly all over the nori.
  • Sprinkle roasted sesame seeds on top of the rice.
  • Turn over the rice bed so the rice side is down and nori  is on top.
  • Put your favourite fillings on top of the nori about few centimetres away from the folding edge.
  • Start folding. See the Folding the sushi roll section above.

Serve with Wasabi paste and soy sauce.


24 comments:

    Unknown said...
    These look really delicious and easy. I may have to look into buying a rice cooker now.
  1. ... on October 16, 2010 at 7:50 PM  
  2. Unknown said...
    These look great! I've just tried sushi and found that I really like it, so this would save a lot of money if I could make it myself:)
  3. ... on October 17, 2010 at 1:44 AM  
  4. Magic of Spice said...
    I am so impressed! I love sushi, but have never tried to make it myself...saved :)
  5. ... on October 17, 2010 at 7:05 AM  
  6. Susi's Kochen und Backen said...
    I'm very impressed! We eat Sushi a lot but after a while it gets pretty spendy. With your great tutorial I might be able to make it home and safe money in the process. Boy will my husband thank you :o)
  7. ... on October 17, 2010 at 10:09 AM  
  8. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @Rachel C.: You can also cook rice without a rice cooker but it makes your life a lot easier if have one.

    @Sprinkled with Flour: It's true you can save a lot of money if you know how to make it at home. I'd love to hear from you how you went.

    @Magic of Spice: Thanks! Now it's time to make it... :)

    @Susi: If you eat Sushi a lot, I highly recommend making it at home. I've never tried sushi with fresh raw fish but as long as you know the technique, you can use virtually any fillings. With a bit of practice, you will be able to make decent Sushi and eventually save money. Let me know how you go with Sushi-making. I'm sure your husband will love it.
  9. ... on October 17, 2010 at 12:14 PM  
  10. Angie's Recipes said...
    They look so professionally rolled!
  11. ... on October 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM  
  12. Joudie's Mood Food said...
    So great to make sushi rolls at home. i love it and always feel that i have accomplished something great.. Pity i eat all the hard work as soon as it is ready!
  13. ... on October 18, 2010 at 9:36 AM  
  14. Joyti said...
    Bookmarking! YUM!
  15. ... on October 19, 2010 at 1:21 PM  
  16. pigpigscorner said...
    Looks so good! Love love sushi!
  17. ... on October 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM  
  18. La Bella Cooks said...
    I am so impressed as I always think sushi is incredibly hard to make but looking at yours, you make it seem so much easier. Lovely!
  19. ... on October 21, 2010 at 2:14 PM  
  20. Unknown said...
    Hi,

    The sushi looks wow...havent tried it as i thought it was hard but you have made it look so simple!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com
  21. ... on October 21, 2010 at 11:42 PM  
  22. Elisabeth said...
    I have never attempted to make sushi, not wanting to buy all those ingredients and supplies, thinking that I would ruin it, but your instructions for the gorgeous sushi is making me want to go out and buy all the necessary things for it.
    Thank you for sharing your awesome sushi instructions, and step-by-step photos!
  23. ... on October 22, 2010 at 6:38 AM  
  24. Elisabeth said...
    You've been tagged! Please read the the 8 questions, answer them, and pass your own question to 7 bloggers. Thank you for participating!

    Here are my 8 questions to 7 bloggers, that I will be tagging.







    1. What is your all time favorite comfort food?




    2. What kind of foods did you take to school, for lunch? (any grade)




    3. What is your favorite all time cooking show on T.V... past or present...and why?




    4. Which celebrity, famous person, or famous chef, would yo invite to your next holiday party in

    your home, and why?




    5. Which holiday you love the most?




    6. If you won an all expense paid trip for ten days to the choice of the official Top 3 wine regions

    which of the 3 would you pick? 1.) Bordeaux, France, 2.) Tuscany Italy,

    or Napa Valley, California (these are in their actual order on the top 10 favorites)




    7. What kind of food you absolutely hated, growing up, as a young child, or teenager.




    8. What was the most dreaded dish that you prepared and said you would never prepare it again?




    Finished my Links, and will be tagging you good people!

    Any one that would like to jump on the "bandwagon"...please, do so!




    1. spoon-and-chopsticks

    2. dreams of sugarplums

    3. brenda's canadian kitchen

    4. food fun freak

    5. susi's kitchen

    6. patty-a day with me

    7. deba roo roo
  25. ... on October 22, 2010 at 11:02 AM  
  26. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @Angie's Recipes: Thanks Angie. I've used aluminium foil to assist in the rolling. I guess it did a great job.

    @Joudie's Mood Food: It's true you eat all your hard work as soon as it is ready. I guess hard work is to tease your senses.

    @Indie.Tea: Thanks for bookmarking. I am glad you've found it helpful.

    @pigpigscorner: Thanks for your comment. If made properly, sushi is great.

    @Bridgett and
    @Dr.Sameena Prathap: I used to think like you before but once I started making it, it's not as hard as it seem. The process is a bit time-consuming though. I think for a newbie, rolling would be the hardest part but with practice, you can get it right in few tries.

    @Elisabeth: I am glad that you found my instructions and photos helpful. Making sushi is akin to making a sandwich. You can virtually use any ingredients you like. The only extra things you need are Nori (seaweed sheets), sushi-seasoning, wasabi (you can do without it if you don't like it) and short-grain rice. The fillings are your choice. Just use your creativity and enjoy!

    ... and thanks Elisabeth for tagging me. I will answer the questions you've sent. I will make a separate post for it.
  27. ... on October 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM  
  28. Keaton Buster said...
    Hi there. You have a wonderful blog. You're so creative, and you have beautiful photography. I look forward to reading your blog, hope you check mine out too :)
  29. ... on October 25, 2010 at 2:08 AM  
  30. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...
    Go you for making sushi at home. I've been wanting to try it for a while but am not sure where to get the fish. I should really at least try some veggie rolls.
  31. ... on October 31, 2010 at 9:29 AM  
  32. Unknown said...
    Thanks for your comments on my Sexy Sushi, although after seeing this post, I think your sushi rolls are definitely sexier! I learnt to roll sushi from my 13 year old daughter who loves to do this, but when she's not around, I'm in trouble! Your tutorial here is definitely very useful so I'm saving this for future reference. Thanks!
  33. ... on November 1, 2010 at 9:13 PM  
  34. Gemma said...
    Oh, Awesome. I'm hoping to learn more about Japanese food and cooking once I start culinary school. Maybe I can start practising sushi before then. Thanks for the recipe
  35. ... on February 18, 2011 at 5:58 AM  
  36. Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...
    This is AMAZING! Your sushi looks so good, when I made it I found it really hard to cut the rolls without squishing the corners of it. How did you do it?
  37. ... on April 11, 2011 at 3:14 AM  
  38. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @Xinmei: Thanks for visiting my blog. You need a sharp knife and the rolls must be tightly rolled. This will give you clean edges while cutting. Hope this helps.
  39. ... on April 11, 2011 at 6:29 PM  
  40. Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...
    Aha, thank you! I shall try that next time :) I don't think I've rolled my rolls tight enough :S
  41. ... on April 11, 2011 at 6:52 PM  
  42. Unknown said...
    Thanks for sharing! will definitely try this one time :)

    I have a food blog too! Follow back?
    http://everydayfoodbites.blogspot.com
  43. ... on June 26, 2011 at 11:48 PM  
  44. Lyñ (My Little Messy N Cheeky) said...
    Beautifully foil-rolled sushi! What a great idea! ;)
    I love making my own sushi at home too for the same reason as yours. ;)
  45. ... on November 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM  
  46. wren and rabbit said...
    love this! looking forward to seeing more of your foodie creations!
    thewrenandrabbit
    http://thewrenandrabbit.blogspot.com.au
  47. ... on May 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM  
All recipes are on Petitchef

Like My Blog? Follow Me

Like Me on Facebook

Grab My Badge

Spoon and Chopsticks

Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.