Bitter melon, also known as bitter gourd, is widely used in Asian cuisine and is a significant ingredient in Okinawan diet. Just like our body needs salt and sugar, it also needs some bitterness to have a balanced diet. The most significant health benefit of bitter melon is related to diabetes.
In my bitter melon salad, I've used sesame powder for nutty flavour and the lemon juice for sourness. I think it is a great combination of flavours. It is good to have this salad once a week to get its obvious health benefits.
- 2 medium size bitter melon
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, finely powdered (use grinder to make sesame powder)
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Juice of half lemon
- Wash the bitter melons well and cut them in circles about half-inch thick.
- Take the seeds out from the middle.
- Boil the bitter melons for about 10 minutes or until they are soft but make sure not to overcook them.
- Drain out the water.
- In a bowl, mix bitter melon with rest of the ingredients.