Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


Korean radish kimchi, known as kkak ttugi or ggak du gi, is a great side-dish full of hot flavour. Radish is good for digestion. You can prepare radish kimchi in large quantity and keep it in a refrigerator for a few weeks.

Korean Radish Kimchi – (kkak ttugi / ggak du gi)

This recipe is similar to the cabbage kimchi recipe I posted earlier.

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium-size Korean radish
  • 1 medium size onion, chopped
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • Small piece of ginger, chopped
  • 3-4 strips spring onion, cut into small pieces
  • Salt, a lot
  • About 4-5 tablespoons Korean red pepper powder.
  • 1 and 1/2 cup water
  • 2-3 tbsp flour
  • 4 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoon sugar

Preparing the radish:
  • Peel off the radish skin.
Korean Radish Kimchi – (kkak ttugi / ggak du gi)
  • Cut the radish in half-inch cubes. Wash the radish in cold water.
Korean Radish Kimchi – (kkak ttugi / ggak du gi)
  • Sprinkle good amount of salt. This will release excess water from the radish.
Korean Radish Kimchi – (kkak ttugi / ggak du gi)
  • Leave it aside for 3-4 hours.
  • After 3-4 hours, again wash the radish with cold water. Drain out the water using a strainer and leave it there for few minutes. 
Korean Radish Kimchi – (kkak ttugi / ggak du gi)

Preparing the paste:
  • Put onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor or blender to make a paste.
  • In a cold water, add flour and mix it well so that the lumps are not formed. Put it in a medium heat, stirring it continuously until it forms a thick paste.
  • Add sugar, fish sauce, "onion, ginger and garlic paste", Korean red pepper powder and mix it well until it forms a smooth red paste.
Korean Radish Kimchi – (kkak ttugi / ggak du gi)

Final step:
  • Wear gloves on both hands as the mixing process gets a bit messy.
  • Put radish in a large container. Pour the paste and mix it well with the radish.
Korean Radish Kimchi – (kkak ttugi / ggak du gi)
  • Add spring onion and mix well. Your radish kimchi is ready.
  • Put the kimchi in a air-tight container and seal it properly.
  • If you like a sour taste, you can ferment it for a day or two in a cool place.
  • Preserve the kimchi in a refrigerator.


20 comments:

    claudia lamascolo said...
    I love radishes and I know these are really good for you... love the article, nice instructions !
  1. ... on April 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM  
  2. Mary Bergfeld said...
    This sounds like something my family might enjoy. We are Korean by adoption :-). I'll have to give this a try the next time we are all together. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary
  3. ... on April 17, 2011 at 11:23 AM  
  4. Daksha said...
    hi! your dish is looking nice. i'll try this first korean dish thanks for sharing.
  5. ... on April 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM  
  6. Adina said...
    I made recently cucumber kimchi for the first time and I used Spanish pimento,Korean red pepper is not available. It turned out great!
  7. ... on April 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM  
  8. ann low said...
    Mmmm...I love kimchi!Please pass me some :)
  9. ... on April 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM  
  10. Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...
    Kimchi is such a nice word, I don't know why but I like it. I like the dish too, and radishes are always underused. Thanks for the recipe :)
  11. ... on April 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM  
  12. Peggy said...
    This sounds great! I've never tried kimchi with radishes before, but I'm going to definitely have to soon!
  13. ... on April 17, 2011 at 11:34 PM  
  14. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...
    I might like the radish kimchi more than the napa cabbage one :). Can't believe I haven't tried to make it yet at home. urs looks fantastic !
  15. ... on April 18, 2011 at 7:57 AM  
  16. cocoa and coconut said...
    Okay okay okay! I am so excited by this post. I love Korean food/culture/music etc. I really need to bolster my Korean recipe file.
  17. ... on April 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM  
  18. Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...
    This looks so delicious!
  19. ... on April 19, 2011 at 3:36 AM  
  20. Anna C said...
    Great tutorial, full of helpful information. Thanks for introducing me to a new vegetable.
  21. ... on April 20, 2011 at 5:58 AM  
  22. Reeni said...
    My Mom is always bugging me to make her kimchi! Looks delicious!
  23. ... on April 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM  
  24. Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...
    i made little Kimchi to try out 1st time, my daughter and I are ok with the taste, but 3 other boys did not like it...
  25. ... on April 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM  
  26. Anonymous said...
    Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower.
    I invite you to visit and follow my blog.

    God bless and have a nice Easter :-)

    ~Ron
  27. ... on April 21, 2011 at 7:28 AM  
  28. Unknown said...
    This recipe looks great!
    I would like to try it, thanks for sharing!
    Have a nice day, barbaraxx
  29. ... on April 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM  
  30. Food Glorious Food! said...
    Wonderful recipe! Just timely for my guests this weekend :) Started following you and would like to invite you to follow my blog too :)

    http://personalfoodjournal.blogspot.com/
  31. ... on April 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM  
  32. Cooking Gallery said...
    I've never tried kimchi with radish, but now I am tempted to make some. It looks so good!
  33. ... on April 22, 2011 at 9:54 AM  
  34. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    Thanks for all the lovely comments.

    @Mitinita: I've never tried Spanish pimento in kimchi. That's a great advice. I might give it a try.
  35. ... on April 24, 2011 at 7:32 AM  
  36. Elisabeth said...
    Hi Sel-I want you to know that you have just made my favorite spicy kimchi. It is just as good with the radish, as it it with the cabbage, as well.
    My daughter made this not too long ago, and had to give it to me to take home...way too spicy for her, and family.
    Your kimchi sauce is the best, that I have seen so far, and I would have to use Daikon raddish which is another favorite of mine, for this recipe.
    (gloves are a good idea, especially wiping nose, or eyes w/out it...ouch!!!)
    Thanks my sweet friend for sharing your recipe, bookmarked it, and will copy, and print it:DDD
    xoxo
  37. ... on April 27, 2011 at 3:15 AM  
  38. Lisa said...
    This is so good. My family loves Korean food and we're always trying to make our own kimchee. This looks like a great recipe that we'd love. Thanks for following my blog and I'll now be following yours.
  39. ... on May 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM  
All recipes are on Petitchef

Like My Blog? Follow Me

Like Me on Facebook

Grab My Badge

Spoon and Chopsticks

Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.