Pomelo is a citrus fruit which is popular in southeastern and south Asia. It has a sweet and sour taste. It tastes similar to a grapefruit. I usually buy pomelo from my local Chinese grocery.
This salad is very popular in Nepal and is consumed during the autumn season. Pomelo is locally known as Bhogaté in Nepal. If you cannot find pomelo where you live, you may just use grapefruit for this salad. You can add other fruits in this salad such as apples, pears, bananas, oranges, pineapples and other citrus fruits. The salad has sweet and sour taste and also has some nutty flavour that comes from the sesame powder.
- 1/2 pomelo
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 orange
- 1/2 apple
- 1 round slice of pineapple
- 2 tbsp sesame powder (I used coffee grinder to grind white sesame seeds to form a fine powder.)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilli or paprika
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp yoghurt
- Peal pomelo, grapefruit and orange and cut them into pieces. Cut apple and pineapple into small pieces. Put all of them in a large bowl.
- Add sesame powder, salt, chilli, yoghurt and sugar. Mix them well with the fruits in the bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil starts to get warm, put in the fenugreek seeds and heat until the seeds turn black.
- Add a pinch of turmeric in the oil and immediately pour it onto the salad. Give the salad a good mix. You are now ready to enjoy your pomelo salad.