The yellow lentils are good for your health. Chicken with yellow lentil dahl (also spelled daal or dal) is a quick and easy dish to prepare. I found chicken and yellow lentils go well together and adding just a few spices simply enhances the taste of this recipe. This dish goes well with bread or rice.
- 500g chicken pieces with bone
- A cup of yellow lentil dahl
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp paprika or chilli powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a saucepan in medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, put the cumin seeds. Wait until the cumin seeds are little black.
- Add chopped onion and cook until it gets brown.
- Add chicken pieces and fry them for 5-8 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric, salt, paprika (or chilli powder). Mix well and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add yellow lentils. Mix well and add water. Stir well and cover.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. You may need to add more water if the water dries up.