Chutney goes well with rice, bread, wraps or sandwiches. Chutney can be used as a replacement for jam if you like sweet and sour taste. Mango chutney is very easy to make at home. If you like more sour taste, you may add some vinegar in the recipe.
- 2 medium size green mangoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup sugar (use more sugar if you like the chutney to be sweeter)
- Juice of 1 medium size orange
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder to taste
- Peel the green mangoes, wash them and cut them into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Put the cumin seeds and heat until the seeds turn black.
- Add mango pieces, turmeric powder, salt, chilli and bay leaves and fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add sugar, water and orange juice, and mix well.
- Cover the lid. Cook in a medium heat for about half an hour or until the mangoes are soft. You may need to add water if the mangoes start to get dry.
- Cool the chutney and store in a clean jar. You can then put it in a refrigerator.