This is a simple beef salad made on a stove flat-top pan. The charred flavour of the meat and tomatoes gives a distinct flavour and the spring flavour brings the crunchiness and freshness of green veg in this dish. Sesame oil adds an aromatic flavour in this dish. This beef salad goes well with rice or bread. This salad also makes a great accompaniment with drinks. I like it hot but you can reduce the amount of chilli if you like.
- 500g topside beef. I think topside is the best cut for this salad but you can try with other cuts if you like.
- 1 large tomato, cut in half
- 5-6 strips of spring onion, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- Salt as desired
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder. You can also use fresh chilli.
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Small piece of ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Thinly slice topside beef. Place the slices on a hot pan on medium-high heat.
- Cook on both sides until the meat is slightly charred. Put the tomatoes and cook them on the same pan on both sides until the skin is charred and the tomatoes are soft. Depending on the ripeness of the tomatoes, it may take about 5-6 minutes for this process.
- Remove meat and tomatoes. Let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- Cut the meat into small pieces.
- Take the skin off of the tomatoes and cut them and mash. I mash them with my fingers.
- Put the meat and tomatoes in a bowl along with spring onion, garlic, ginger, salt, chilli and sesame oil. Mix well and serve.