Making your own pizza base and pizza sauce at home is a fun way of making pizza. It's great for a weekend lunch. Home-made pizzas are certainly cheaper and healthier than the ones from most pizzerias. I like to make my own pizza base as well as the sauce. Pizza sauce is very easy to make. Nothing beats your own fresh pizza sauce with herbs. Making pizza base can be a little time-consuming but it's worth the wait. I have used a square pan for my pizza- no significant reason for that. I just don't have a large round pizza pan at the moment. I hope you will enjoy my recipe. I'll let you read the rest of the post and wait for your comments.
This recipe makes about 2-3 serves.
Ingredients for tomato sauce:
- 200g canned tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
The toppings really depend on your choice. You can put anything. Remember not to overload your pizza with too much toppings. I think pizzas taste good with only a few toppings as long as the combination and the quantity are just about right. This is what I used on my pizza:
- A good handful of shredded cheese
- 150g boneless chicken, lightly fried
- Few black olives, sliced
- Small onion, sliced
- Add yeast to 2 tablespoon of lukewarm water. Soak for about 10 minutes. Stir well after 10 minutes.
- Mix salt and plain flour in a bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup lukewarm water in the mixture. Pour the yeast and mix well. It will form a sticky dough.
- Cover the dough with a towel and leave it for an hour to proof. Covering with a towel avoids crust formation.
- After an hour, you will have a raised dough. Knead it lightly for a couple of minutes to remove the air from the raised dough.
- Flatten the dough with your hands. Since the dough is soft, you can use your palm and fingers to stretch and flatten it.
- Spray oil on the pizza pan and place the flattened base. You may need to adjust the edges according to the shape of your pizza pan. Leave the base for at least half an hour. Then it's ready to use.
- Heat olive oil in the sauce pan. Add garlic and fry it for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, mixed herbs, salt and pepper. Mix all the ingredients and cook for 5 to 8 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Apply a layer of tomato sauce on the pizza base as much as you desire. Sprinkle some cheese and put the toppings on the pizza base evenly. Sprinkle some more cheese on the top.
- Bake it on the middle rack of your preheated oven of 350°C for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- If you like a hard crust on the base you can then transfer it to the lower rack of the oven for about 5 minutes more.
- Your pizza is ready to serve.