I made this traditional Thai dish with my own homemade tamarind sauce. My recipe is done with shrimps. You may use chicken or other meat or even make it vegetarian. Pad Thai has a great combination of sweet, sour and chilli. You can adjust the recipe according to your taste.
Ingredients for sauce:
- 2 tbsp tamarind (I used tamarind in block form)
- 1 cup warm water
- 100g palm sugar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 150 - 200g shrimps
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 150-200g rice noodles
- Garlic chives, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Bean sprouts
- Spring onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- Chilli powder
- Soak the tamarind in warm water for few minutes. Squeeze with your fingers to separate the pulp from the seeds. Remove the seeds from the liquid.
- Pour the liquid in a sauce pan. Add palm sugar, caster sugar, soy sauce and fish sauce. Bring it to a boil to make tamarind sauce.
- Cook rice noodles and drain water. Set it aside.
- Heat your wok in high heat. Fry onion and shrimps until the shrimps start changing the colour.
- Add garlic chives, bean sprouts, green chilli and spring onion. Push contents to the side of the wok and add egg. Mix well with the rest of the ingredients in the wok.
- Add the noodles, tamarind sauce, peanuts and chilli powder. Mix well.
- Serve with additional bean sprouts and sprinkle some crushed peanuts on top.