Dried Anchovies in Tomato is a great accompaniment with rice, flatbreads and other types of breads. The dried anchovies goes very well with tomato and other spices. You can also add green or red chillies if you like it hot. I prefer using Roma tomatoes because they have a sweet flavour but you can still use other tomatoes. This dish is very easy to prepare with only few preparation steps. Let me know what you think.
This recipe makes about 3-4 serves.
- 5 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- A handful of dried anchovies
- Small piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Fresh chillies, finely chopped or chilli powder according to taste
- Salt according to taste
- Few cracks of pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder (optional)
- Heat oil in a saucepan in a medium heat. Add dried anchovies and fry for a minute or two.
- Add ginger and garlic and continue frying until the garlic gets a little colour.
- Add tomatoes and continue frying until the tomatoes get soft. This may take approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Now add salt, chillies, pepper and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add half a cup of water and simmer for another 5 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve it warm.