Making flatbread at home is very easy and tasty than buying from the market. My flatbreads contain no oil yet they are delicious and extremely easy to make. The market version usually contains preservatives and may contain excess amount of oil. Making them at home is also much cheaper. Once you've started making them at home, you will never go back to the ready-made flatbreads.
- 2 cups plain flour (you may also use wholemeal flour)
- 160ml lukewarm water or as required to form a dough
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Add water gradually and bring all the ingredients together to form a dough.
- Knead the dough until it is soft. You may set it aside for about half an hour.
- Form small balls out of the dough. You should be able to form 10-12 balls.
- Using a roller, roll the balls to form thin circular breads. TIP: Before rolling, you can lightly dip the balls in flour to prevent from sticking on the board while rolling.
- Heat non-stick pan in medium heat.
- Put a rolled bread on the pan. Cook it both sides pressing gently on the edges with a dry towel. While pressing, you will see the bread will rise.
- You can serve the flatbreads with curries, dips and thick soup. They are also ideal for forming wraps.