These deep fried light airy puffs are easy to make. You can enjoy these as a snack. The puffs are crispy outside and soft inside. I enjoy eating the puffs with tea or coffee.
Makes 15-20 puffs
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder (This is optional - I use this to bring a nice yellowish colour)
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- Salt as taste
- Soak dry yeast in 1 tablespoon of lukewarm water for few minutes.
- Mix flour, salt and turmeric powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the soaked yeast and 1 cup warm water into the bowl and mix to form the batter. You don't need to mix it for too long. Make sure the batter is sticky.
- Cover the batter with a kitchen towel and leave it in room temperature for at least 3 hours. The batter will rise about double the amount.
- After 3 hours, give the batter a quick stir but don't overdo it.
- In a pot or sauce pan, heat 2-3 inches of oil in medium-high heat.
- Take a half-tablespoon-full of batter and release it slowly into the oil by pushing it with a wet finger.
- The puffs will expand while frying, so do not overload the puffs in the oil.
- Let the puffs brown evenly before removing. The puffs will turn golden quickly. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve while the puffs are still hot.