Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


It's winter here in Sydney. Winter is great for soup. I made this simple beef bone soup with onion, garlic and ginger to keep myself warm and to drive the flu away.


Ingredients:
  • 3-4 pieces of beef bones. Try to get bones with a bit of meat on them.
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 8-10 cloves of peeled garlic
  • Small piece of ginger, crushed
  • Salt as taste
  • Pepper as taste
Preparation:
  • Clean the beef bones with cold water.
  • Boil the bones for about 8-10 minutes and throw away the water. This will get rid of blood and other residue.
  • In a large pot, boil the bones again. Throw in onion, garlic and ginger. Add salt and pepper. Cover and boil in high heat.
  • After 30 minutes or so, you may see fat or froth floating on the water. Get rid of the froth with a ladle and continue boiling. You may need to add more water at this point. Don't be afraid to add water. You will be boiling for a long time.
  • After boiling for about an hour, you can get the first serve ready. Add water and keep boiling. The more you boil the bones, the colour gets whiter and clearer. You may need to add more salt and pepper.
  • After 2 or 3 serves, you may need to add more onion, ginger and garlic.
  • Keep repeating the process and keep drinking. After several serves, the meat starts separating from the bones and gets really nice and tender.
You can also put carrots, cabbage and potatoes in the soup. Potato helps in thickening the soup. You can garnish the soup with spring onions.


    3 comments:

      Holly said...
      Found you through Mom Loop! Looks like a great blog! My kitchen one has mostly casseroles, as of yet... LOL!! http://www.tasty-ornot.blogspot.com
    1. ... on July 6, 2010 at 9:12 PM  
    2. Sharon Cohen said...
      Greetings! I’m visiting from the Blog Frog Mom Loop Community Comment Follow. You've answered my question about ginger being good for staving off the flu and I chuckled to see how much garlic you've incorporated. A woman after my own heart!

      I envy you the winter weather of Sydney right now! We're in the 90s to 100 where I am and only getting hotter. I call Sacramento summer my annual reminder of what hell is like.

      You’re invited to visit my blog to learn of ways to satisfy your husband’s deepest desire . . . for respect! http://husbandsdeepestdesire.blogspot.com
    3. ... on July 8, 2010 at 4:11 AM  
    4. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
      @Holly, thanks for visiting my blog. I also had a quick look at your blog and commented on my favourite recipe.

      @Sharon, yes I've put plenty of garlic in the soup. I love garlic and I find it great for winter. Thanks for visiting.
    5. ... on July 8, 2010 at 6:08 PM  
    All recipes are on Petitchef

    Like My Blog? Follow Me

    Like Me on Facebook

    Grab My Badge

    Spoon and Chopsticks

    Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.