The marinade for this roast chicken is a unique combination of red chilli pickle paste and Hoisin sauce. I bought the red chilli pickle paste from the Indian grocery. The combination of red chilli pickle paste and Hoisin sauce gives a special flavour of hot, sour and sweet.
- 1 small whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon of red chilli pickle paste
- 1 tablespoon of Hoisin sauce
- 4 cubes of butter
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- Wash the whole chicken properly.
- Butterfly the chicken by following the steps below:
- Gently run your fingers between the breast skin and flesh to separate one from the other. Push butter and garlic under the skin.
- In a small bowl, prepare the marinade by mixing a tablespoon each of red chilli pickle paste and Hoisin sauce.
- Using a brush, apply 3/4 of the marinade on the chicken. Keep the rest for a second coat later.
- Leave it for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven in 250°C. Put the chicken in the oven and leave it in the oven until it is half-cooked.
- Take the chicken out and apply the rest of the marinade on the chicken.
- Put the chicken in the oven and cook it until the skin is brown.